Martins Oak Surgery
Statement of Purpose
Martins Oak Surgery is a General Practice Partnership open to all patients living within our Practice boundary area. We work in partnership with our patients and our Patient Group to provide medical care for over 8,000 patients.
We are a General Medical Services (GMS) Practice offering Primary care services for the diagnosis and prevention of disease. We help patients to manage their health and prevent illness. Our GPs assess, diagnose, treat and manage illness. They carry out screening for some diseases and promote general health and wellbeing. Our GPs act as a patient’s advocate, supporting and representing a patient’s best interests to ensure they receive the best and most appropriate health and social care. Our GPs also provide the link to further health services and work closely with other healthcare colleagues. They also arrange hospital admissions and referrals to other services and specialists and they link with secondary and community services about patient care, taking advice and sharing information where needed. They also collect and record important information from other healthcare professionals involved in the treatment of our patients via regular Multi disciplinary review meetings and our GP’s are involved in the education and training of medical students.
The Practice main address is: Martins Oak Surgery, 36 High Street, Battle, East Sussex, TN33 0EA
Our Mission Statement To improve the health, well-being and lives of those we care for. Educate and prevent disease in well patients. Care for and review patients with chronic diseases.
Vision To work in partnership with our patients and staff to provide the best Primary and social Care acting within local and national governance, guidance and regulations.
Our Aims and Objectives
- To provide high quality, safe, professional Primary Health Care General Practice services to our patients
- To focus on prevention of disease by promoting health and wellbeing and offering care and advice to our patients
- To work in partnership with our patients, their families and carers towards a positive experience and understanding, involving them in decision making about their treatment and care.
- To be a learning organisation that continually improves what we are able to offer patients.
- To treat patients as individuals and with the same respect we would want for ourselves or a member or our families, listening and supporting people to express their needs and enabling people to maintain the maximum possible level of independence, choice and say in their treatment
- To work in partnership with other agencies to tackle the causes of, as well as provide the treatment for ill health and where appropriate involve other professionals in the care of our patients.
- To encourage our patients to communicate with us by joining our Patient Group, providing feedback via participating in surveys and providing suggestions on improving on the services that we offer
- To ensure all staff have the competency and motivation to deliver the required standards of care ensuring that all members of the team have the right skills and training to carry out their duties competently and safely
- To take care of our staff offering them support to do their jobs and to protect them against abuse
- Invest in staff training and identify training needs for all staff as an ongoing standard.
- To provide our patients and staff with an environment which is safe and friendly
- To operate on a financially sound basis.
- Reporting significant incidents, be able to reflect on what went wrong and learn as a team
Our ServicesThe GMS services provided by our GPs are defined under the Standard General Medical Services Contract. These services are mainly split into three groups:
Essential servicesWe provide essential services for people who have health conditions from which they are expected to recover, chronic disease management and general management of terminally ill patients. Our core services include:
- GP consultations
- Asthma clinics
- Chronic obstructive airways disease clinics
- Coronary heart disease clinics
- Diabetes clinics
Additional services include:
o Contraceptive services
o Child health surveillance
o Maternity services
o Certain minor surgery procedures
o Vaccinations and immunisations
o Cervical cytology screening
o Contraceptive services
Enhanced services include:
- Childhood vaccinations and immunisations
- Diabetes Management
- Prostate Cancer Injection Therapy
- Minor surgery
- Flu, shingles and Pneumcoccal immunisation
- Wafarin Monitoring
- Wound Care dressings and Management
- 7 day ECG Monitoring
- 24 Hour BP monitoring
- Learning Disability Health Checks
- Methotrexate Monitoring
Other services Our Practice also offers services including:
- • Child health and development
• Dressing clinics
• Ear wax and syringing
• End of life care
• Lung testing (spirometry)
• Medication reviews
• Mental health
• Pregnancy testing and contraceptive advice
• Smoking Cessation support
• Travel advice
• Women’s health
- New Patient checks
Our Practice also provides services which are non NHS and are paid for by the patient. These services include:
• Insurance claims forms
• Non NHS vaccinations
• Prescription for taking medication abroad
• Private sick notes
• Pre-employment and HGV medicals
• Vaccination certificates